Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gluten Free "Neiman Markus" Cookies


Okay. So, I'm about to share with you just how far removed from civilization I've been. I have a cookie recipe, apparently from someone named Neiman Marcus, and until today, I had no idea who or what that was.

*Gasp*

Neiman Marcus is a store that carries designer labels. I googled them. They carry clothes that are usually only seen on runway models. Clothes that normal women roll their eyes at and wonder, "Did she not notice her striped shirt and checkered pants do not go with that paisley jacket?" And that those hideous make-your-eyes-cross patterns sell for $1,000 a piece? And we (I'm inserting myself here) normal women notice that these same models look like they've never eaten a cookie a day in their lives? And then, some clueless woman who thinks Google is a Godsend, finds that not only does Neiman Marcus carry make-you-dizzy outfits, but the store also sells cookies!?!

Be still my heart. Finally. A store that caters to the blind and the hungry. Now, that's a place I can get behind.

Just as long as I don't have to wear paisley with my striped wool socks. ☺

Gluten-free "Neiman Marcus" Chocolate Chip Cookies
 

 
~The Players~
 
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
6 Tb. granulated sugar
2 eggs
4 t. pure vanilla extract
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. sea salt
3-1/2 cups gluten-free cookie flour blend (*see below)
1-1/2 t. xanthan gum
1 Tb. instant espresso powder
2 cups chocolate chips
 


In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy.
 

 
Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
 
 
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, flour, xanthan gum, and the espresso powder. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
 
 
Stir in the chocolate chips.
 
 
Drop by large spoonfuls (or cookie scoop) onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
 
 
Bake @ 375F. for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before moving to cooling rack.
 
~GF Cookie Blend Flour~
 
2 cups fine-ground brown rice flour
2 cups fine-ground white rice flour
1-1/3 cups potato starch (not potato flour)
2/3 cup tapioca starch/flour
 
Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
 
The flour recipe comes from Mary Capone, contributing writer/chef for Living Without magazine.
 
Enjoy!
 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness..wow. My mother use to make a 'Neiman Marcus Cake' that, as I recall, was very rich and extravagant. Your cookies sound wonderful.

Susan said...

Those look wonderful, darn it! They will be on my Bake List this weekend. Have you tried the Gluten Free Mama Almond Flour Blend? I just used it in a pie crust and it was to die for!

Kim said...

Susan~I have and LOVE it! That flour would probably work for these too~wish I would've thought of it! ;)

Candy C. said...

The cookies look very yummy and you crack me up! :)