Sunday, April 15, 2012

Meal Plan for 4/16/12

Madison helping Great Grandma to the car.
This week I'm planning on going a little crazy in the kitchen. A few years ago, I tried my hand at once-a-month cooking. We were doing foster care at the time and seemed to always be in and out of the house, shuttling kids to appointments, visits, school, etc., so having extra meals in the freezer saved my behind on more than one occasion.

That was then, this is now. Back then, before I knew better, my freezer meals consisted of foods that used processed ingredients. I'm not talking beans from a can either. I'm talking about chicken pot pie "packets" using canned crescent dough, canned chicken, and cream of everything soups. (And yes, they were delicious!) However, once I started learning about whole foods, I couldn't in good conscience go back. Not that I've arrived or never eat processed food anymore mind you. Now it's just not normal for us to do that.

Keeping in mind the 4 generations (and different dietary needs/restrictions) that are living under this roof, I'll be trying my hand at freezer cooking again. This time without the canned dough and soup. And this time, it won't be for the entire month. (Regardless of what a once-a-month cookbook tells you, it never takes just one day!) I've decided to add a couple of freezer meals each week to the menu. My hope is that I'll get 3 meals from each recipe and will be able to stock 2 away for those busy days that always rear their ugly heads when we least need them to. This week, I'll be cooking Pineapple Chicken, and Spicy Turkey Sausage Pasta Sauce for the freezer. I'll be sharing those recipes along with the gluten-free Buttermilk Cornbread this week.☺

Here's what else is cookin'...

~Monday~
Crockpot Shepherd's Pie (inspired by this recipe), garden salad w/ Bleu Cheese Dressing

~Tuesday~
Cinnamon Spice Granola with yogurt
Boston Baked Beans, GF Buttermilk Cornbread, garden salad w/ Bleu Cheese Dressing

~Wednesday~
Scrambled eggs, GF Cranberry White Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins

~Thursday~
GF Coffee Cake, yogurt with blueberries
Pineapple Chicken (new), brown rice, steamed broccoli

~Friday~
Spicy Black Bean Soup, GF Buttermilk Cornbread

~Saturday~
Brown rice spaghetti with Spicy Turkey Sausage Pasta Sauce, Caesar Salad w/ GF Croutons

*This post is linked to Menu Mondays at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Yes! The GF Buttermilk Cornbread! You are so amazingly enterprising and talented - your menus leave me in awe.

Kim said...

Thank you!

Candy C. said...

The turkey pasta sauce recipe is the one I'm looking forward to!