Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spicy Split Pea Coconut Curry Soup



Ever have one of these days?

Lately I've been having more and more of them. Maybe I have cabin fever. Maybe I've been spending much too much time on Pinterest and am slowly losing brain cells. Maybe this is normal for someone  who is slowly descending into madness.
 
For the record, I haven't arrived at that last destination yet, the bone in the pot is a ham bone. Just in case you were wondering. It is not the leg of a Hobbit.


Promise.

One of our favorite frugal meals is split pea soup. I'm not talking about the yuck in a can either. That stuff can be compared to baby food; lacking flavor and texture, which makes it a little pointless to consume. Because dried peas are pretty bland by themselves, it's important to add flavor. The original recipe calls for light cream to be added at the end, but since we had no cream to add, I improvised.

 Then I improvised some more.

After I found a bigger pot.☺


~The Players~

5 cups chicken stock
5 cups water
1 lb. dried split peas
1 *meaty ham bone
4 Tb. unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tb. curry powder
1 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
sea salt & pepper, to taste
1 can coconut milk

In a large soup pot, (and by large I mean large enough for the bone), combine the stock, water and split peas. Add the ham bone and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots and saute until onions are translucent. Add spices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Remove the ham bone from the peas. When cool enough to handle, remove any meat from the bone and add back to the soup. Add vegetable mixture to the peas and stir well. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Using a blender or food processor, puree half the soup, 2 cups at a time until smooth. Add back to the pot. (I use an immersion blender and eyeball it.)

Pour coconut milk in to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add to the soup and stir to mix.

Season with salt & pepper. Add more red pepper flakes if desired.

Serve hot.

Enjoy!

*Make it vegetarian by leaving out the Hobbit ham bone.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

Hmmm...it does kinda look like a Hobbit bone!
I love the soup bowl! Your recipe sounds great with the curry and coriander! YUM!!

Lisa said...

Really can't wait to try this recipe. My only concern is that I'm the only one in my house who'll eat it since no one is really fond of peas. Maybe I'll make it for our church's next potluck...

~Lisa :)