Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Spiced Applesauce~Chunky Style

Jars of spiced and unsweetened applesauce

It's apple season again, which means that it's time to make applesauce. I've always assumed that everyone knew how to make applesauce, but was recently informed that that's not true. It's surprising to me because saucing apples is about as American as apple pie, just a whole lot easier.

There are many ways to make applesauce. Some like it smooth, with just a hint of apple-y sweetness, while others prefer chunky with the added bonus of a little spice.

I'm the latter. I mean, I prefer the latter, not that I was identifying with the latter.

Because that would be weird.

And I'm already weird enough.

Back to applesauce since I'm clearly not having one of "those moments".

On our way to hunting camp, we passed through a little town by the name of Naches, which is known for their apples. Maybe not as well known as its neighboring town of Yakima, but since we were already driving down their main street, we stopped. And since their main street is also the highway, we knew we wouldn't get lost on some weird little side-street.

Because then we'd have to stop to ask for directions which would almost be worse than my Mister being caught by one of his buddies holding my purse in the bra section of Sears.

Or so I've been told.

Since October is the peak of apple harvesting, but the ending of the fruit stand sales, we were able to pick up boxes of apples for $5/piece.

How could we not buy all that they had? (Actually, we left 2 boxes just in case another family was passing through on their way to hunting camp. I think that was down-right kind of us, don't you?)

Needless to say, I've been making applesauce. And a lot of it. My plan is to try and stay one step ahead of this little one.

Emily likes her applesauce mixed with yogurt.
So far, Em's keeping up pretty good!☺

~Nana's Applesauce~

~The Players~
32 large apples (Any apples or a combination of favorites!)
1/2 cup water
juice of 2 lemons
3/4 cup sucanat*
1 Tb. ground cinnamon
1/2-1 t. ground nutmeg
2 t. pure vanilla extract
Optional: Vanilla beans from 2 or 3 beans

Peel and core apples. Cut into large chunks and place in large stainless steel cooking pot. Add water and lemon juice.

Cook covered until tender, about 30 minutes.

Using a potato masher, carefully mash apples. Do this slowly so you don't get burned!

Add sucanat, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir until sucanat dissolves.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. If using vanilla beans, add them now.

Spoon into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Wipe rim and seal. Process in water bath canner for 20 minutes. (Wait for water to boil!)

~OR~

Spoon applesauce into freezer containers, leaving 1 inch of headspace. Store in freezer up to 1 year.

~OR~

Spoon applesauce into bowls. Add yogurt and enjoy!

I have it on good authority that that way is best.☺

*I use sucanat because it gives the applesauce a molassesy flavor. You could use brown sugar or white if you prefer.

5 comments:

Tami said...

I'm not familar with sucanat...you've got me curious now! Love me some chunky cinnamon applesauce. 32 quarts put up this year! I'll bet it's all gone by February. There's just NEVER enough!

Candy C. said...

Emily is just SOOO cute!!
I love making applesauce but only started doing it a couple of years ago. I usually make mine in the slow cooker but there's just the two of us and I'm not making the quantity that you are! :)

Kim said...

Tami~Sucanat is the least processed of the sugars, just short of eating the cane out of the field! It has a lot of flavor and can be found in health food stores and well-stocked groceries. 32 quarts is a lot of sauce! I agree~there is never enough! :)

Candy~I dream of using my slow cooker for making sauce. I can't dwell there though, it might make me a bitter old applesauce lovin' granny. But I do dream! :)

Patty said...

Emily is adorable! This morning we ate cinnamon apple sauce in cream of wheat. It was really good! In fact, I might do it again tomorrow. :) ~Happy apple saucing~

Kim said...

Patty~That sounds delish!