Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Organizing and an Award!

Happy Labor Day!

Actually, that seems like an oxymoron since most people have the day off. So maybe we should rename it, "Happy Day Off and Thank You For Your Hard Work Day". Or, "Happy Last Day to Wear White Until Memorial Day Weekend Day". Or, "Enjoy Your Barbecue Because the Rainy Season is Coming Day".

Scratch the last 2. They were just downright depressing.

Since my Mister is not one of the fortunate laborers to have today off, I took it upon myself to throw myself into my work too. Can't have him feelin' sorry for himself you know. While he is off saving lives, and making people feel better, I am throwing out junk, organizing, and making myself a little less wacko in the process.

But only a little less.

Warning: In order to organize your chaos, you may want to invest in a label maker. Because only God knows what grain was actually added to the last batch of cookies...

...if it was a grain at all.

Bulgar and steel cut oats; millet and quinoa...you say tomato, I say toma-toe. Label if you want to know what you're eating! 

Wide-mouth canning jars with lids make excellent storage.

Ikea is another great place to find inexpensive jars.

Half gallon jars are great for foods that you use a lot of...like popcorn!

My organizing didn't end there, because that would be too easy. No, I decided to jump into another rat's nest.

The make-up drawer.

I'm going to spare you the gory details, but it was ugly. I'm pretty sure that there was make-up left over from the 9th grade. When I was 14. Do the math. People could lose their vision with that stuff.

When the purging was complete, I was left with a tall, kitchen garbage bag completely filled, and a drawer that looks like this...


To say that I am a make-up junkie would be an understatement.

And I usually only wear it on Sundays.

Next up...the tea cupboard.



But it will have to wait until next Labor Day; I'm all labored out.☺
*~*~*~*~*~*

Last week, I was awarded a Liebster blog award by Lisa at Happy in Dole Valley! This gal creates things with a knitting needle that makes this farm girl swoon.

All I seem to be able to do with a knitting needle is scratch that hard to reach spot on my back.

Lisa home schools, cooks with whole foods, has a sweet spirit, and makes muffins every Monday. If you haven't visited her blog yet, you owe it to yourself to do it now. I'll wait....

See what I told you?

So what's a Liebster award? 



"Liebster" is a German word meaning dear, sweet, kind, nice, good, beloved, lovely, kindly, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.

The Liebster is awarded to spotlight up and coming bloggers who currently have less than 200 followers.

How fun is that? Now for the rules...

1. Thank the giver and link back to the blogger who gave it to you.

2. Reveal your top 5 picks and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.

3. Copy and paste the award on your blog.

4. Have faith that your followers will spread the love to other bloggers.

5. And most of all - have fun!

So, in no particular order, here are my picks for the Liebster Award...

 
1. MamaTea @ A Farmish Kind of Life~She is a homeschoolin', chicken wranglin', guitar playin', problem solvin', crotchetin' junkie, waitin' for the farm mama, who also likes to cook. Anyone who can make me laugh out loud before my morning coffee is pretty okay by me!

2. Midlife Farmwife~As if owning a large, certified organic beef/dairy/pork farm wasn't enough, Donna makes soaps that look good enough to eat, castrates little boy piggies, dreams of living a more simple life, and has a sense of humor to boot.

3. Freedom Acres Farm~I'm going to borrow words from her "About Me"...A Bible believing, Torah observing, organic gardening, raw milk drinking, homeschooling, egg collecting, cow milking, bread baking, whole foods eating, book loving, apparel sewing, off-grid living wife and mom of 6 striving to be as frugal and self sufficient as possible!

What's not to like about that?

4. Retro Momma, Vintage Wife~Previously of Life in Small Town Wyoming, Michaela has made the move to a new blog domain and and a new state, but is still just as quirky, crafty, sassy, and fun as ever.  She is one of the people directly responsible for my lack of counter space (lacto-ferments), and my obsession with spray paint (repurposing)! And I don't even hold it against her!☺



5. Whole Foods on a Budget~Christy shows how to eat real foods and still stay on a budget, something this old dog has yet to master. She breaks down the cost of buying non organic produce  against what she's harvested in her small, but highly productive garden. And for heaven's sake, check out her recipe for Tuscan Bread Salad~I've already licked my computer screen...twice! (I can't leave a comment on her blog, but please show her some love anyway!)

And thank you Lisa!

6 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I was loving this post, because it's swell to meet another label FREAK!!! And then you had to go and say nice stuff about me.... Yup, I really love this post :D

Amy Dingmann said...

Ok, first off, the labeling and organization has me drooling.

Secondly, my husband didn't have the day off because he was off saving people, too. Do they happen to be in the same line of work?

You sweet, sweet girl! Aw! Thanks for this award! :) I adore your blog and I look to you for my daily funny. You have a way with words, my dear, and I LOVE reading what you have to say. I have never seen anyone make a recipe more entertaining...EVAH!!! (That's "ever" with a gangster farmgirl twist. ;))

You can count on me, I'll be spreading the love on my blog in the next few days. This is fun!!!

hoosier girl said...

Trespassing! I know you did! But how in the world did you get by my 2 guard beagles and attack cat to get that picture of MY tea cupboard??? LOL

Lisa said...

Oh my, thanks for the sweet, sweet words, my blogging neighbor to the north.

I have to share that I purged my make-up drawer years and years ago and am now down to a single cosmetic pouch. One of each item EXCEPT lipstick -- too many to count. And I, like you, wear it mainly on Sundays. :)

Blessings, ~Lisa

Carolyn said...

I don't think you're alone with the "tea cupboard" department! Good idea though....should probably clean that out since it IS hot tea season again!

Congrats on the award & looking forward to stalking more bloggers!

Freedom Acres Farm said...

Thank you so much for the award. I have passed it on :-) I am humbled.

Maybe a pantry or spice cupboard post will be forth coming on my blog too. Great ideas!