Sunday, August 7, 2011

Crispy Zucchini Fries


Well, now I know. God has a sense of humor. I'm almost sure it is His laughter I hear every time I walk out to the garden and find yet another zucchini.

Some might think it's summer thunderstorms, but I know better.

He's laughing.

This year, the only produce that is growing well in our area seems to be the zucchini, otherwise known as the bane of my existence, or the thorn in my side. I'm not sure why the green beans can't be as prolific as the squash, especially since I really enjoy a fresh, stir-fried, garlicky green bean. I'm unclear as to why the tomatoes, which bring me so much joy as bruschetta, fresh salsa, or nestled in-between the bacon and lettuce of a really good BLT, can't seem to get past the green marble stage before falling off the plant.

What I do know is that I can let The Year of the Zucchini continue to frustrate me, or I can learn to love it.

At the very least, I can disguise it into something I really like.

Like french fries.

Somehow, I think He expected that.☺

I didn't use exact measurements for this recipe, but it really is simple to prepare. You'll want to eat these fries while they're hot, so bake them just before dinner is ready.

~Crispy Zucchini Fries~

~The Players~
zucchini, cut into 4" french fry strips
whole wheat flour (enough to coat fries)
2 eggs
*Panko (at least 2 cups) 
fresh grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
cayenne pepper (about 1/2 t.)
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425F.

Cover cookie/baking sheets with parchment paper. This will keep the fries from sticking and will help to brown them evenly.

Put the eggs, and Panko into 2 seperate pie plates or bowls. Add water to the eggs and beat well.

To the Panko, add Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper; mix well.

 Use a plastic bag and pour the flour into it. Add a handful of zucchini "sticks" to the bag; shake to coat with flour.

Dip the zucchini, one at a time, into the egg wash, then the Panko mixture, coating well.

Lay the "fries" on the parchment paper in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and "crispy".

Eat plain, or serve with warmed marinara sauce.


And make extra~these go fast!

Of course, that may have been my fault.☺

Enjoy!

*Japanese bread crumbs, otherwise known as Panko, can be found in most grocery stores, health food stores, and fish markets.

This post is linked to The Homestead Barn Hop!


5 comments:

Lori Pedersen said...

YAY!! Thank you soo much for posting this!! Zuke Fries tomorrow!!

April's Homemaking said...

These look wonderful, I love that they are baked, I often make a fried version, but it is such a mess and not very healthy, I will surely be giving this recipe a try!!

Homemade Alaska said...

Yum, definitely going to give this recipe a try. Thanks!

Amy Dingmann said...

You know why else I know HE is laughing? Because zucchini are my favorite thing out of the garden, and the TWO that managed to pop out a few days ago ROTTED before they were big enough to pick. :(

I really like the recipe. If I can get my hands on some zukes, I will try it! I bet I could even get my kids to eat it this way. Wait...why would I want them stealing my zucchini?? ;)

blank said...

Hey Kim, great timing! I've got a beautiful big zucchini on my counter waiting to be enjoyed! Thanks for the recipe! Glad to hear your summer is going well. We're crazy buzy and doing well!