Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring Risotto

Last week, before my boycott of the grocery store, I found some organic asparagus that looked entirely too good to pass up. The produce man was unpacking and stacking it as I stood next to him, commenting that it had just come off the truck.

That's really all it took to convince me to buy some. "It just came off the truck." I was so excited that everything after that is just a blur. Including the price. 

I wish I could tell you how much I paid for it, but it seems I've blocked it from my memory. That's a good thing...no sense ruining this perfect lovely recipe over something so trivial as cost.☺ 

My Mister and I planted some asparagus in our garden last year, ready to wait the prerequisite 2 years before our first tiny harvest. I wish the asparagus had been as ambitious as us. Not one single stalk popped up out of the ground this year. 

Not one.

I'm not too upset though. I have 10 dahlia bulbs ready to replace the non-compliant asparagus.

Dahlia's make me almost as happy as asparagus.☺

~Spring Risotto~

Risotto goes well with grilled salmon.

~The Players~

2 Tb. unsalted butter
2 Tb. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock (can use vegetable or beef stock)
2 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil. (Medium-high heat) Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add rice and cook another 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth, stirring constantly. When the broth has been absorbed, add another cup of broth and wait until absorbed again. 

Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus for 2 minutes. Put asparagus in ice water and set aside until needed. 

Add the final cup of broth, stir, then add asparagus and mushrooms. Turn heat down to medium-low and place a lid on the pan. When the broth is again absorbed, check rice for doneness. If the rice isn't cooked, add a little more broth or water and continue to cook until done. 

Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments: