Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creamy Potato Corn Chowder

When the weatherman forecasted snow for us last week, I knew it was time to pull out the chowder recipes.

Since my oldest son was just diagnosed with serious shellfish allergies, I knew that seafood chowder was out.

Or my son needed to be.

Good thing I really like my boy.

I'm not sure if this recipe was a make up as you go, or if I originally followed somebody else's version. I just know that I've made this so many times that it's all from memory now.

Lucky for me, I have the memory of an elephant. The thighs too, but that's for a different post.

I don't hold it against the chowder.

Not only is this soup very filling, it is also very frugal. Nothing fancy, no weird specialty ingredients and very little prep-time.

I love winter.

Potato Corn Chowder


~The Players~

3 slices nitrite-free bacon, cut up
5 cups thin-skinned potatoes, unpeeled and diced
3 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bay leaf, broken in half
1 quart chicken stock (I use homemade, but a good store-bought works too)
2 t. sea salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 t. dried tarragon
1/4 t. paprika
4 cups organic frozen corn
1 cup half & half (I use 1/2 cup whole raw milk & 1/2 cup raw cream)
4 Tb. unsalted butter

In a large cast iron pan, fry the bacon. Using the bacon grease, add onions and celery; cook until tender.



When cooked, dump into a large soup pot. Add the potatoes, carrots and bay leaf. Pour chicken stock over the potatoes; add enough water to cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover with lid and simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf and discard.



Using a food processor, puree small batches until all has been creamed. Be careful, it's very hot!



Return to pot. Pour half & half into a large glass bowl. Whisk in a couple of spoonfuls of the hot soup to temper the cream. Add the cream to the pot and mix well. Add the corn and butter; stir. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and tarragon. Let simmer until corn is heated through.

Don't forget to taste before serving. Depending on the saltiness of the stock (or lack of), you may need to adjust the salt.

Enjoy!

This post is linked to Fight Back Fridays at the Food Renegade.

No comments: