Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Leftover Pork Curry

Otherwise known as Day 2, aptly named by yours truly, this is a great way to use leftover pork. If you read yesterdays post, Roasted Pork Loin, you'll know that I like to plan ahead and save steps by cooking extra vittles for a later date.

This is the first time that I've used pork in a curry recipe, as we usually favor chicken for it's ease and expense. But I have to say, the pig was great! And because it was pre-cooked, the time spent on this dish was minimal. In fact, the time spent was less than 30 minutes, but please don't tell my family...they think I spent the whole day working on this!

Before I share the recipe, I need you to remember that not only am I an amateur photographer at best, but I am also forgetful in my semi-old age. I forgot to snap a picture of the finished product while it was hot, so in order to capture the finished product, I had to take a picture of cold leftovers. Cold coconut milk firms up a little. Even stirred, you'll be able to see chunks that do not resemble vegetables. Please do not let that deter your from trying this dish. It really is delicious!

Leftover Pork Curry
~adapted from the book, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat"~


~The Players~

2 Tb. coconut oil, beef tallow, or sesame oil
2 C. leftover pork (or lamb), cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can whole coconut milk
2 C. beef stock
1 t. red curry paste
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1 t. organic sugar
1 t. sea salt
2 Tb. fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized strips
1 C. pod peas, ends removed and cut on an angle into 1/2-inch pieces

Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add meat and saute, stirring frequently, until browned, about 10 minutes.


In a separate bowl, mix coconut milk and stock together. Whisk in the red curry paste.


Unless you forget to add the curry paste. Then quickly scoop a little milk back out of the pan and whisk the paste into that.

Just smile and pretend that you did it on purpose.


Add remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.

Can you smell it yet? Lean closer...


Pork curry can be served over brown rice or can be served in a bowl and eaten as a soup. At one of our favorite Thai restaraunts, curry is served as a soup, with a side of rice.


Just don't forget to take pictures of the finished dish before putting away the leftovers!

If there are any!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

L.L. said...

I made this, it was very good! Thank you! :-)