Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Steel Cut Nutty Oats


While going through the dry goods of the pantry, I discovered something new about myself.

I am an impulse shopper.

At least in the grocery store.

I found several bags of steel-cut oats and to my knowledge, I've never actually tried steel-cut oats. How could I know if I, or anyone in my family, would like steel-cut oats?

I didn't. Hence, the impulse shopping label.

And since I'm also frugal to a fault, those oats needed to be used.

Is it still name-calling if the names are directed to myself, from myself? Hmmm...

I found this recipe in a cookbook called, Romancing the West.

Aptly titled, since my entire family is smitten with this recipe!
(You know I had to go there.)

Steel-Cut Nutty Oats

3 cups water
1/2 t. sea salt
1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup pecans, chopped
Optional: fresh/frozen/canned fruit, sweetener of choice, cinnamon, cream, butter

In a preheated 400F. oven, toast the oats and pecans for approximately 5 minutes. Watch closely or the nuts will burn. Bring water and salt to boil. Add oats and pecans. Reduce heat to simmer, place a lid on saucepan and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.

We added bananas, cinnamon, pure maple syrup and raw cream.

Contented moaning is optional.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

blank said...

Hi Kim, I just got my hands on a bag of oats from a farmer (for the pony but I stole a bag from her!). Can I use these for this recipe or do I need prepared oats in some way? What does steel-cut mean? Can I roast them ahead of time and then store them in a jar for later use?

Thanks for the recipe - I hope I can try it soon!

Kim said...

Ooo..those are the BEST oats to get! This recipe uses the steel-cut, which are oats that have been cut with steel buhrs. It's rustic looking and toasts up really nicely. They're also called Irish oats or Pin oats. I'm not sure how the rolled oats would work. I do have a soaked oatmeal recipe that uses the rolled which is fantastic!