Monday, November 29, 2010

Lime Crusted Mahi Mahi

Spending time in a chair leaves a lot of time for reflection.

Lately, all I can seem to reflect on is the kitchen.

Or my lack of participation in the kitchen.

It doesn't help that I've kept the t.v. tuned into the Food Network either. Those wackadoos make me feel completely incompetent and seriously lacking in the originality department. They're like the MacGyvers of food. A little twine, newspaper, corn and a match, and they've got a 3-course meal that people would pay big money for.

So, I decided to do a little creating of my own.

At first, it was only in my head. But then curiosity got the better of me, and with the help of a little Motrin, I made my own MacGyver original.

Sans the twine, newspaper, corn and match.

After all, a girl has to watch her figure.
~~~~~

Lime-Crusted Mahi Mahi

1 lb. wild-caught Mahi Mahi (I got mine from Trader Joe's)
1 organic lime, zest and juice
olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste

Heat a cast iron pan on medium until very hot. When it's hot, add tuna to pan.

Sear for 1 minute, flip over and sear other side for a minute more.



Drizzle olive oil lightly over fish. Be careful, it will spatter a little.

Sprinkle with salt & pepper.


Zest 1 lime.


Sprinkle half the zest over tuna; carefully turn fish over and add the rest of the zest. Let cook on each side for 1 minute.


Remove from heat.

Place on a plate and squeeze lime juice over fish.

Or...


...place the fish on a nice bed of greens, laced with black beans, green onion, raw cheese, fresh mushrooms, and hard-boiled egg for a low-carb, full-meal deal!


Salad dressing not required.

No comments: