Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Humble Pie for One

As a stay-at-home mom, I rarely have occasions to dress up. Face it, it makes no sense to put too much effort into my wardrobe to chase the cows, pull some weeds, or stack some firewood.

Give me some sweatpants or blue jeans and I'm good to go.

Even though my skirts are crying out for me to show them a little love, on most days, it just doesn't make sense.

The exceptions to that are Sunday's and grocery shopping day.

In the summer, I ALWAYS wear skirts to town. ALWAYS. Skirts provide a cool breeze and have the added benefit of covering my legs if I neglected to shave.

I know. Too much information.

When wearing my skirts, I feel feminine. And if I'm not in too big of a hurry to escape...I mean, get to town before the rush...I may even apply make-up.

With my latte in one hand and grocery list in the other, I'm set. I'm feeling good and looking groomed.

Today while shopping, one of the grocery store cashiers paid me a compliment. Sometimes I do get compliments. Usually they have something to do with how organized I am with my list attached to a clipboard, but today it was about me. She told me I was a "very pretty lady...a real natural beauty".

Ummm...okay. Apparently she didn't notice the 3 layers of spackle on my face.

But, like a hungry lion, I ate up that compliment, and waited for more. I stood a little taller. I felt good.

But God, in His infinite wisdom, created humbleness.

And He decided to use it on me today.

In fact, He served a big slice of it on a platter.

I cannot show you the picture because this is NOT one of those kinds of websites.

I'm not even sure that I should share this with you.

But, there were witnesses. It's out there now. You have the right to know.

As I walked to my car, I noticed a couple of other people looking my way. "Wow", I thought, "I must really look good today."

I may have been strutting.


Then I looked down.


Tangled in my necklace was the underwire to my bra.


Sticking right out of the top of my tank top.


I'm currently in the market for a new home...preferably somewhere overseas.

And lest you be scarred for life, I'll leave you with some happy thoughts.

And what's truly beautiful.

A creek after the rain subsides


Grandchildren


Returning soldiers


The beach after a storm



Beauty is a sunrise that you were privileged to be awake for.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel my dear Mother. We went out to lunch with some people from Teen Challenge (a Christian drug program). Madison and I, after returning from the bathroom, stopped to look at the 50 cent ring dispenser. I keep hearing, "umm.... you might want to check your skirt". I turn around to see what poor soul she's talking too.... and I realize its me. I had walked half way through the restraunt with all of my backside hanging out. Ugh... ~ your oldest daughter

Kim said...

Sadly, my dear Kelsie, it's in the jeans..er...genes...er...skirt!(At least I'm not a pastor's wife!!!LOL)

Kris said...

Oh my goodness, you are both too funny! It surely must run in the family!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

You just can't make these things up...

But girl, you truly are a beauty, underwire or not!!!