Thursday, July 28, 2011

From the Farm to the Table...and the Archives

Since we're still recovering from the big "Summer-Strep-That-Only-My-Family-Would -Think-About-Adding-To-The-Sunshine-Epidemic", I'm going to re-share my Zucchini Bread recipe from last summer with you. Because I know you've got zucchini busting out the walls of your kitchen. And because this is really good.

Which is the only reason I plant zucchini!☺

Today was the beginning of summer for me.

Even though the sun has been shining since July 5 (I kid you not!), summer doesn't officially begin until we make our first run out to the local farming community, called Sauvie Island.

Located a mere 50 minutes from my house, Sauvie Island is an agricultural dream. From long-horn cattle, to fruits and vegetables, anything farm-related can be found there.

Except for soybeans.

And maybe cotton.

Really, let's not forget where I live!

Here's what I came home with today. (Oh boy, I hope my Mister doesn't read this!)


I picked up a flat of just-picked raspberries, some Walla Walla sweet onions, shell peas, French green beans, Rainier and Bing cherries, corn on the cob, zucchini that hadn't been forgotten about, and a bouquet of dried lavender.

It smelled nice and I couldn't resist.

I also couldn't resist the really cool woven bag. It was made in Ghana, Africa and I have wanted one for as long as I can remember, which was probably only since last week. Now I can pack my farmer's market goodies to the car in style.

How's that for justification?

For dinner tonight, we enjoyed the corn, stir-fried green beans with garlic and onions, and zucchini bread.
I'm sensing another visit to the farm in the very near future!

Okay, I know you want some zucchini bread too. And because I love you, I will share. But you have to bake it yourself because my love has limits. *wink*

~Zucchini Bread~
2 cups unbleached white flour
1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 t. sea salt
2-1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
2 Tb. lemon zest
3 farm fresh eggs
1 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
1-3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two loaf pans.

In a small bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and zest. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, then fold in the zucchini and walnuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let the bread rest for a few minutes, then remove from the pans and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Makes 2 loaves.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Lived here 21 years and still haven't been to Sauvie Island...ughhh I need to get out more!

Great haul...love the basket, kim

maggie said...

Looks like a nice haul! We don't have quite so much available here yet, but soon!

Kris said...

What a great haul! Sounds like a neat place to visit and come home with such goodies. I am going to make your zucchini bread. I have a really good recipe but yours is way different. Looks good. Thanks.

Susan said...

It all looks wonderful! I can't wait to try your bread

Renata said...

Hi Kim
That market sounds amazing & I love, love, love your new bag!!! Thanks for the recipe - come January when we are swimming in zucchini I'll have to try it out (I'll print out the recipe otherwise I'll never remember where to come back to!). I hope you all recover - we often get sick in summer - seems crazy!
Enjoy your week
Blessings
Renata:)