Tuesday, June 1, 2010

White Chicken Chili Tostados


This was my birthday dinner request.

I requested and requested, but no one knew what I was talking about.

So this became a gift to myself.

From myself.

And MaryJane Butters.

This recipe was featured in the latest issue of MaryJane's Farm. It was so delicious that there were no leftovers for my Mister to take to work the next day.

I'm a terrible wife. I made him eat in the hospital cafeteria.

That'll teach him to work on my birthday!


*Remember to soak the beans the day before you want to make this!

1/2 lb. dry Great Northern beans
4 cups chicken stock
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. sea salt
1 Tb. apple cider vinegar
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1-1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. dried red pepper flakes
2 roasted chicken breasts, shredded (I grilled mine during a dry moment outside!)
Monterey Jack cheese
sour cream
green onions, diced

1. Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight. Drain and rinse. Place beans in a large pot and add the chicken stock, onions, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 1-1/2-2 hours, until beans are tender. do not add more liquid; the chili must be thick so it won't run off the tostado shell.

2. Stir in the vinegar, chiles, and remaining spices. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Add the shredded chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

4. Serve chili (about 1/2 cup) on fried corn tortilla shells. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

**To make tostado shells, heat safflower oil in cast iron pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, slide one corn tortilla into oil. Fry for about 30 seconds on each side, then do it a second time with same tortilla. (A total of 2 minutes or so.) Remove tortilla from pan and drain on paper towels. Continue until all are done.

***This is supposed to serve 8-12, but I found that it didn't. Next time, I will double this recipe and it should be perfect for my family of 8 to have 2 a piece. This would also be great with fresh garden tomatoes and avocados!

No comments: