Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Raw Cranberry Relish

In honor of Thanksgiving and the cranberry that tries to be the shining star of the meal, I am reposting a recipe that I originally shared back in March. I'll be serving a traditional cranberry sauce, but will also serve this version, packed full of enzymes to help digest the rest of dinner.

Maybe the cranberry really is the shining star.

A few months ago, I decided to go "raw".

It lasted until dinnertime.

And, it was not one of my finer moments.

Since then, I have had great respect for anyone who feels convicted enough in their beliefs to choose a path and stick to it.

My path has lots of roots poking up out of the ground. I'm forever tripping over my own ideas and plans. I start down one path, see an obstacle, then switch paths, only to find myself switching back a little while later.

It makes me dizzy.

That's not to say that I am going back to raw. Hardly.

I like meat. And I like it cooked.

What I'm saying though, is with our experiment of eating fresh and local, I'll be adding some raw recipes to the mix. There will also be some steamed, sauteed, roasted, grilled, fried, baked and poached recipes. And whatever else I can come up with.

For dinner tonight, we enjoyed a roasted turkey, for no other reason than we had it in the freezer. We also had creamed, red, Swiss chard on fresh sourdough bread and raw cranberry relish on the side.

Since we have a freezer full of cranberries, we'll be enjoying this relish for awhile!


2 cups washed, raw cranberries (can be frozen, just thaw slightly)
2 peeled, cored Granny Smith apples (or other tart apple)
1 large, organic, unpeeled orange, cut into sections
1 cup organic sugar (I used the full cup, but next time will only use about half.)

Process the cranberries, apples and orange in food processor. Pulse until everything is chopped, but not mushy. I call it medium-chopped.

Pour into a bowl and add sugar. Stir well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

The colors were so brilliant, I wish they would've showed up better on film. Even outside, it's hard to convey just how pretty this is.

*Cranberries pack a nice little punch in the nutrition department.

Per 1 cup of raw cranberries:

44 calories
11.5 g. carbohydrates
4.4 g. fiber
8 mg. calcium
6 mg. magnesium
12 mg. phosphorus
81 mg. potassium
12.4 mg. vitamin c

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

That looks gorgeous! I am definitely trying this recipe. This made me laugh. I, too, am constantly tripping over myself on the health thing. If only I didn't have a PERFECT brownie recipe! Well, I try to only make it when the older kids are here. That limits me.

Thanks for the fun story. I can't do the raw thing.... but I have a bunch of liver in my freezer from my uncle's grass fed cow. Maybe I'll try something with that. Maybe. possibly. perhaps. sometime. maybe this summer.

:)

inadvertent farmer said...

Oh that sounds delicious! I have considered going raw...but so far vegan is as far as I've been able to accomplish. And with my sometimes overwhelming craving for cheese I'm pretty sure I couldn't give up bread to go raw.

Thanks for the recipe...I will definitely try this! Kim