Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hazelnut Quinoa Salad w/ Creamy Strawberry Dressing




With all the talk of eating whole grains, I decided to try a few new ones. Millet, couscous, bulgar, amaranth and quinoa to be exact. After getting them home, I had no idea what to do with them!


Looking in my grain closet, I realized that I'd better learn something before my Mister decided to make bird food out of all the unused grain.


He was skeptical.


The kids were amused.


I was challenged.


Then stumped. Again.


But, thanks to Bob, my new friend at the Redmill, who I did NOT personally meet, I now know what to do with my millet, couscous, bulgar, amaranth and quinoa! (Which is pronounced keen-wa)


This recipe is from Bob's Redmill Cookbook, Whole & Healthy Grains for Every Meal of the Day.



Hazelnut Quinoa Salad with Creamy Strawberry Dressing (Gluten-free)

2 cups cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
1/4 cup toasted, crushed hazelnuts
1/4 cup minced scallions, or green onions
1 small bunch of seedless, red grapes, halved (about 1 cup)
~Spread the hot, cooked quinoa on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.

~Combine the cooled quinoa, hazelnuts, scallions/green onions, and grapes in a medium bowl.

~Immediately before serving, pour the Creamy Strawberry dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.

~Serve at room temperature or chilled. Serves 4.


Creamy Strawberry Dressing

1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup strawberry all-fruit spread
3 Tb. balsamic vinegar
2 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. silken tofu (or use mayonnaise)
1 medium garlic clove, minced
3/4 t. sea salt

~Combine the orange juice, fruit spread, vinegar, oil, tofu/mayonnaise, garlic and salt in a food processor or blender and blend for about 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour over salad and toss.



Please forgive the poor picture quality, I forgot to turn off the flash! This salad turned out really well and was liked by the whole tribe...and that's a lot of tribe!


1 comment:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Are you part of an Azure co-op up there?
Oh, and did you know that "kefir" does not rhyme with reefer? It's pronouced a whole different way that I can't even remember because everyone I know pronounces it the wrong way.
I should facebook that.
That was totally random- sorry!