Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meal Plan for 3/1-3/7/2010


I cannot believe that it's already March! Yikes, time sure flies as I age...I think this is the "slippery slope" my grandmother used to speak of.


And here I thought it was a real slope. Who needs ski's? (I remember learning to ski and my sister hollering at me to "SNOWPLOW! SNOWPLOW!" as I careened down the hill. I didn't catch on then, so I'm probably going to keep skiing out of control now!)


In order to live a life with no regrets, we bought our first beehive/bees today.


I may live to regret this, but our bees will arrive in May, already established and ready to provide our family in endless supplies of honey. At least, that's the hope. Barring chemicals, natural disasters, swarming and attacks from jealous yellow jackets, we should be able to harvest our first batch in the fall! We visited some real bee farmers (I'm not sure if that's the technical name!) and got to see their hives in semi-action. Semi, because it's still early, but the bees were definitely buzzing!


It was a beautiful sight.


Here's what's cookin' this week...


Monday
~Granola
~PB&J sandwiches, oranges
~*Hazelnut Quinoa with Strawberry dressing, Parmesan Baked Tilapia (Amazing fish!)


Tuesday
~Soaked oatmeal w/ blueberries
~Popovers with nitrite/nitrate free deli turkey, tortilla chips w/ hummus
~*Cranberry Wild Rice, elk steak, asparagus w/ Hollandaise sauce

Wednesday
~Fried eggs, sourdough toast
~Corndog muffins, plum smoothies
~Pot roast w/ roasted carrots & onions, mashed potatoes


Thursday
~Soaked oatmeal w/ blueberries
~Annie's boxed macaroni and cheese, canned pears w/ homemade yogurt
~Three Cheese Baked Ziti (gluten-free), green salad


Friday
~Fried eggs, sourdough toast
~Toasted tuna & cheese sandwiches, carrots w/ homemade ranch
~*French Lentil soup,*Buttermilk biscuits


Saturday
~Granola
~Cheese quesadillas, frozen blueberries w/ homemade yogurt
~Crockpot Salsa Chicken, green salad


Sunday
~Granola
~leftovers
~*13 Bean Chili, cornbread


Thanks to our visit to *Bob's Redmill, our menu plan was a breeze! The asterisked meals are either mixes or recipes found in Bob's Redmill Cookbook. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Bob!


***Update*** Going gluten-free is getting easier as each day goes by. I've found brown rice tortillas, baking flour made with GF grains, and all kinds of pasta and grains. We like our elk steak sliced thin and fried and were able to dredge them in GF flour for the entire family. It was great! When I'm completely gluten-free, my hands are pain-free. It pays to research and experiment.


For more great menu ideas, visit Laura at The Organizing Junkie!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so envious about the bees!! I want to get some too. So did you have to jump through hoops in WA to have them? In TN, you have to register your hives etc. Lucky you:)

Btw, your menu sounds excellent! I do well to just plan dinner lol!

Cindy said...

Congratulations on the bees. My brother has one box and is planning to step it up. It is pretty exciting.

Great menu. I mean to do one every week. Maybe this will encourage me along (or shame me!)

You have a great blog. I really enjoy it.

Kim said...

Lisa, no hoop-jumpin' yet! We're pretty excited too!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I'm so excited for you getting the bees! I can't wait to see your journey!

JeannaMO said...

I just found your blog and JUST LOVE IT! We live in Missouri and got into beekeeping last year (ours arrived in April, 2009). We did get 2 1/2 gallons of honey from one hive (we have two). We expected to get a little more but our summer was so cold and wet that the rain washed away lots of the pollen before the bees to get to it so we only got that 2 1/2 gallons (which we harvested in August). It is so fascinating! My kids think I'm a cook when I tell them something about watching those bees flying in the sunshine just takes my breath away! We're still feeling clueless and bumbling along! Unsure of whether to treat them chemically or not. So, I'll be anxious to see how you progress! Yesterday we had a "hint" of spring. It was probably 43 degrees and I saw on a honey bee on our deck! It got so cold here over the winter (below zero for many weeks) so I was glad to see they are still alive! Have fun and keep us updated! (Your own honey will taste so AWESOME!)

Jeanna