Thursday, January 7, 2010

Carmel Corn

My children once asked me , "If you could live on a deserted island, what are 3 foods that you would have to have with you?"


First, let me just say, that if I were on a deserted island, we would not be having this conversation right now. I would be basking in my birthday suit (after I made sure that the island was truly deserted!), drinking fresh, clear spring water from a coconut shell, and enjoying the peace and quiet. If I got hungry, and I would have to be REALLY hungry, I would signal a plane with my carefully crafted S.O.S. and wait to be rescued. (I would probably have time to admire my mad "MacGyver" skills first!)


But only if I were REALLY hungry.


Because I'm still enjoying the thought of having a little peace and quiet.


After all of that, I actually gave it some thought. What would I choose if I could only have 3 different foods with me?


I think I may have had a slight panic attack at that moment.


Just the thought....


But, if I had to pick 3, I would have to choose butter, coffee, and popcorn.


And here's why...Butter can be used to saute any seafood that I managed to catch, and face it, shellfish has to have butter. Coffee, because I would need the stimuli to wake me from my super-relaxed state. And finally, popcorn...for the fiber.


Since I'm pretty sure that my odds of landing on an uninhabited island are pretty slim, I'll just enjoy my 3 fav's in some homemade caramel corn.


Even better? This version has NO corn syrup!


Homemade Caramel Corn


2/3 cup popcorn kernels, freshly popped
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar (I used organic cane sugar this time, but will try Rapadura next.)
3 Tb. strong coffee
1/2-3/4 t. sea salt
1/3-1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped


In a saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar and coffee.








Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.


Meanwhile, pop the corn. I used a hot air popper because the popcorn needs to be dry.





The butter mixture should look like melted caramel at this point.



Remove the caramely mixture from the heat and add sea salt, stirring well. Very carefully, pour the mixture over the popcorn.



Stir the popcorn gently to "spread the love". Add the almonds and mix. This will be very goopey. Yes, goopey is a word. It's very technical.



Spread popcorn onto a cookie sheet (with sides) or a broiler pan and bake in preheated 250F. oven for 30 minutes, stirring half-way through.


Using a cookie spatula, quickly turn caramel corn onto waxed paper to cool. It will harden as it does.



If there is any left over after the cooling process, store caramel corn in an airtight container!





2 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Um, YUM!!! Thanks for sharing- I'll be trying this one! :)

KaHolly said...

Mmmmm-mmm-mmm, looks might tasty! I'll be giving it a try soon.