Saturday, November 21, 2009

Menu Plan for Thanksgiving week



I think Thanksgiving might be my favorite holiday. That said, it is also the busiest holiday around here! Since the focus on food, there are no gifts to distract if the food's not good! Still, it is my favorite. I love cooking family favorites, trying new recipes and of course, enjoying it all with my family. I even have special stretchy pants that are saved just for this holiday! They are ugly, but I can eat until I burst...doesn't get better than that. (I try not to think about Black Friday. It is NOT a shopping day for me. It involves some pink, chalky liquid and lots of water. Usually, while still wearing the stretchy pants!)

I'll be carrying over a couple of meals from last week. Things got nutty and I brought pizzas home one day and my "Mister" took me to dinner on another day. No complaints here! The other meals are coming from the freezers and pantry.

Here's what we'll be eating this week...

Breakfasts: oatmeal/blueberries, smoothies/toast, Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal, Sunshine & Sausage Casserole, Cranberry Streusel Muffins, *Mexican Frittata*

Lunches: Leftovers, soups, sandwiches

Dinners: Chili Rellenos, Mexican Rice, green salad (from last week)
Korean Beef Bulgolgi, brown rice, salad (from last week)
Pasta Alla Vodka, salad
Thanksgiving dinner (see Menu below)
Leftovers
Turkey noodle soup w/ homemade noodles, rustic multi-grain bread
Leftovers OR pancakes

Thanksgiving Menu

Roasted turkey
Cornbread stuffing
Taters & gravy
Butternut squash
Glazed carrots
Homemade cranberry sauce
Rustic While Grain Rolls OR Sweet & Sticky rolls (My life may depend on the sticky rolls!)
Spinach and Strawberry salad

Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie (found a recipe for corn syrup free pie! Yay..Let them eat pie!)
Key Lime Pie
Pear Crisp w/ Vanilla ice cream
*Recipes*

Mexican Frittata

4 Tb. unsalted butter
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 (5 oz.) can Mexi-corn, drained
2 (4 oz.) cans mild, green chilies, drained
20 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
dash of red pepper
Garnishes: paprika, sour cream, parmesan cheese, mild salsa (all optional)

Saute onion, in butter, until tender. Add corn and chilies. Whisk eggs and 1 cup sour cream together, then add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Combine corn and chili mixture. Pour into 2 greased pie plates. Bake at 325 F. for 40 minutes, or until blonde. Bake another 10-15 minutes, until center is set and golden brown.

This can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until morning.

***After posting this, my daughter, Kelsie, called and requested Pumpkin Layer Cheesecake. Because I love her, or because I want her to think her Momma rocks, or because I'm a big old softie, this has been added to the menu. It's probably a little of all 3. What can I say?




No comments: