Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gratituesday...In-laws

On Monday, I mentioned that my "Hunter-man" husband shot an elk on opening day. For the last several days, this elk has been hanging out in the shop. We are an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of family, so needless to say, the elk was forgotten. Not everyone forgot...mostly just me...okay, it was ALL me, but let's not nit-pick. My husband reminded me last night, so today will go down in history (a.k.a. the calendar) as "meat cutting day".

I have never cut up an elk before. It is not like cutting, let's say, cheese. It is work. And the elk is large. Like GINORMOUS!!!! I was concerned. I mean, it's not as if I have nothing else to do, right? Today was a school day, the kiddos needed to eat, I'm sure there was some "plucking" in there somewhere...it was already going to be a full day. "Couldn't we just take it to the meat cutting place?", I whined. (Yes, I whine on occasion..don't judge...you didn't see the size of this elk!) My husband informed me that it was up to us to "git er done" and that was that. Then the greatest thing happened! The phone rang! My in-laws called to offer their services. How great is that?

This is my husband, the "hunter man", my dad-in-law and my mom-in-law working on something from the front of the elk. Not sure what.

In case you're wondering, this is where great minds meet. Our garage. Also known as an "organic meat cutting facility". Elk...can't get more organic than that!

The total meat cutting experience took approximately 8 hours. During that time, my car had its 70,000 mile maintenance check, our daughter was delivered to the college and then to her volunteer job, lunch made it to the table, and school was taught. My son, Matthew, even practiced his copywork by marking the meat packages!
It looked like this: ELK ROST 200P. As you can see, I have my work cut out for me! But none of this would've happened if two very special people hadn't offered to help. And for that, I am most grateful to my in-laws. (And no, I am NOT sucking up!) Thank you!





No comments: